View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #34
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Tohei's resignation letter to the aikikai

Quote:
David Yap wrote: View Post
"Q. I guess that was a difficult time when Koichi Tohei left.

Yamada sensei: Yes. It was a big split. Some of the Japanese instructors went with him. Mostly the older former Tohei Sensei direct students from his hometown. Toyoda was one of them who split. Also this guy Shuji Maruyama. He was in Cleveland at first. He'd been hired by some martial arts school there. And then later he moved to Philadelphia. He went to Tohei, which was good for me and Kanai. He was a pain in the neck. (laughter)

In a way I hated to see the split happen because I didn't know how or exactly why Koichi Tohei changed his mind about the Aikikai. But ... he was a good leader. He had charisma. He was strong, positive. He always said everything straight. He was very nice, an easy boss. In a way I hated to see it happen but in another way it was a positive change. The Aikido became clearer, the aspect of technique itself. It's much clearer what were teaching now. You know, Tohei Sensei's stuff ... unbendable arm, ki, ki, ki ... too much philosophy, not enough basic technique. So, in a way it's good it happened. In a way it was good what happened with Saotome too. The people who went with him ... it cleaned up our house, in a way."

The last sentence, who was he referring to by "him"? Tohei or Saotome?
Saotome, I think.

Best,

Chris