View Single Post
Old 02-17-2005, 07:03 AM   #21
Aikilove
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
Sweden
Re: PBT question

Quote:
Michael Fooks wrote:
The randori the students faced had the odds stacked against them to such a degree they would never be able to pull of clean aikido waza without strong use of atemi first
I disagree... You even see at one or two occation how the student actually handle it nicely... for about 2 seconds... and then turn his/her back towards an uke.
Look, I'm not disagreeing about the need for atemi (in reality). In the dojo however a punch should never land unless uke agree upon it. So how do you then go about it in randori. Well, since it is understod that uke in the dojo do not try to hurt you only try to control you as fast as possible (mostly by taking you to the ground and pin you there), they understand that you won't try to hurt them either - ukemi. So... in theory maky sure you never leave your back towards anyone - implies everyone are in front of you - and move in such a way to a) keep them from in a balanced position griping you, so that if the do get hold you should be able to make them let go quickly , b) always keep you own balance, c) keep them in front of you.
Sometimes it means you first have to step back a little bit in order to collect them in front of you and then move to their collective side (irimi, tenkan). No fancy waza, just movement and deflection. If you by your movement make them loose balance - great one less for a while.
...in theory.
I have seen this demonstrated nicely by Matsuoka at Aiki Expo.
And I have been told by someone who was there, that Matsuoka did the same (stay on his feet, that is) at one of his dan tests in front of Seagal.

Also the clip of Seagal at all japan aikido 1995 (aikidojournal.com) in the end of the randori portion the uke start to gain attention to really go for it (100%? of course not...) and he even let a couple of them get really close just so that he can lead them out of the mat while he steps to the side.

Enough technicality.... but I disagree in the sence that even at the settings of these test I think it's more then possible to control the situation without (to much) atemi. Easy? #### no!

Jakob Blomquist