View Single Post
Old 12-07-2004, 02:39 AM   #21
Aristeia
New Zealand
Re: "Real world Situations"

Quote:
Benjamin Edelen wrote:
Perhaps you are not able to understand where I am coming from. You think I am being extreme because you perhaps do not understand the changes that a little technology brings to combat. When an altercation occurs using modern armaments, the result is almost certainly death for one of the involved parties. The guys who came up with the stuff the people on this board study used to chop each other to pieces without a second thought. They did not draw their swords, smack them together until someone gave up, then go home. When by virtue of your training and the weapons you bear you are constantly responsible for the lives of everyone around you, you cannot get into a "little" fight. The choices left to the armed gentleman are escape, death, or murder. This is precisely why I have lost my taste for self defense.
Maybe I have a different view because I live in a society were it is very rare for anyone to go armed. But regardless I've read plenty of accounts of unarmed attacks and successful defences in the US to make me think you're painting with too broad a brush. Maybe you have a specific job or are in a specific environment where everyone is bristling with weapons, but even then, I can't see how raising your sword and allowing yourself to be cut down a la Obi Wan Kenobi can help anything

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"