View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 11:05 PM   #15
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States
Re: I think I'm done with Aikido

[ton of bricks]
Quote:
..... The problem is that I have outgrown it, whatever vacuum existed in my life that I felt had to be filled with Aikido has since been filled with a sense of self-worth, self-pride, self-confidence and a sense of purpose. In a way my life is now full and Aikido is nothing more to me than a fun diversion every once in a while, I dont take it as seriously anymore ......
And what's wrong with doing something because it's a "fun diversion"? People are having heart attacks, strokes, and nervous breakdowns because they DON'T have enough "fun diversions."

Quote:
..... I used to have is that my training in Aikido felt like it was towards some definite purpose, recently I started realising that whatever violent fantasies of me saving someone (while breaking a miscreant's limb or two) I had were just that, fantasies. The energy and intensity that I had while still serious about Aikido is probably better spent on something where I can actually "test my mettle" so to speak and get a good amount of feedback on any improvements I make and setbacks I encounter in my training. I feel strongly that grappling arts suit me just fine, infact, I enjoy grappling emmensely and love learning and then applying new holds and locks so I am hoping to start some grappling art soon.
UFC, here we come!

One final thought:

There are people who have done Aikido fo 40, 50, or 60 years, and they still feel they are just getting the hang of it. The same goes for people in other martial arts. Something to consider when thinking that you've learned all you can after two.
[/ton of bricks]