View Single Post
Old 05-31-2001, 11:28 AM   #36
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Kenn;

Both you and your sensei are missing the point, although maybe the latter was not asked the right question. Different organizations have different standards. Shodan means beginning level and some feel that it should be given soon rather than later. You can not compare black belts from different organizations, you can compare years practiced. Even if the years practiced is the same, the next question is what techniques were required for Shodan. It's like comparing apples and oranges - they are both fruit but that's about it.

As an exmaple - if an Aikikai Shodan came into my dojo I would not expect him or her to take what I deliver to my own kyu ranked students. I would expect him to pick up on it rather quickly but assumptions tend to get people hurt.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kenn
Being relatively new to Aikido...I've been studying about a year....I asked my Sensei about this. He said that three years is about right if a person practices every day. The people that replied under a year..well...lol..NOT. I relayed the previous post referring to the guy who made it in 5 months and he got a good laugh. Also our senior Shodan made a good point about nobody being able to throw the guy...resisting being thrown, on purpose, in Aikido...good way to dislocate a shoulder.

Just thought I'd share that with you all

Peace, Kenn

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido