View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #66
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: bad technique vs. resistance

Mike:

Have you ever given consideration to the idea that you are part of a larger problem being discussed here? You conveniently place yourself as the "king of internal skills." You talk about how you started off in the Japanese martial arts and then when to the Chinese martial arts to find your "answers." You talk about how this stuff is missing in the Aikido world and other Japanese arts. You talk about how it is being lost in the Chinese martial arts as well, because of organizational and personal concerns. Where are you in the Chinese Martial arts world? Who is your Sifu? What Chinese arts to you represent and teach? What school do you run? Who are your students?

You can try and hide behind your statement about not wanting any students. You can hide behind some less than gracious attempts to share your information with those of lessor status than you and of course, you will give a little bit more if they display some changes according to your standards.

One of the people who "practiced your stuff" was at an Ushiro Seminar and could do little of what was being done. He talked to another attendee ( a friend of mine) who asked why that person was able to do some of what was being taught. My friend asked him why are you not able to employ what you are being taught. He said that he did not want to do so too early so as to avoid learning bad habits! So, he was learning skills like useless parlor tricks that could not be employed in a martial arts setting. Gee, I thought this was all about martial arts. Not surprisingly, this person had less than flattering things to say about Ushiro Sensei, not unlike your opinion of me, or Ushiro Sensei for that matter. Heck, your opinion of Ushiro Sensei was without any hands on experience. You were at the Boulder Camp. Why did you not get hands on? Maybe you just have to wonder what would have happened if you tried to test your skills against Ushiro Sensei? The other people out there teaching "internal skills" seem to have no problem getting hands on with others and even allowing others to test their skills with them. Gee Whiz, Ushiro Sensei allowed Kazumi to try his best. Maybe you would like to test your skills against someone like Kazumi? After all, the martial arts world is about what you do, not what you say.

You talk about being an outside observer to the Aikido world. You seem to be outside of every world except your own self-imposed, self-governed world without a school or students for that matter. Nobody is disputing that you have valuable skills to offer others. The manner in which you attempt to offer your skills is done in a way that places you conveniently at the top of the "internal skills world" while demeaning the efforts to others and, maybe, just maybe, if you see them again and you are satisfied with what you see, you might offer another tidbit of wisdom.

Here is a suggestion for you. Start walking the talk. Open a school. Create a student pool who can replicate your skill sets. Try your hand at testing the skills of those other teachers who you demean. Get your hands "dirty" with some MMA fighters. Show us what art you represent and can pass on the traditions of. People like George Ledyard are out there doing everything they can to walk the talk and always get better. Do you really think that he needs your "approval" in order to learn new things?

I, for one, have had enough of your "contributions" to the Aikido world. The Aikido world managed to survive before you and I'm sure that it will survive without you now. Interesting how you were not an instructor at the Aiki Expos. Interesting how Ikeda Sensei does not attribute his gains to your wisdom. Then again I do not hear any instructor attributing their great gain in skills to you either. I do know of one promising student who stopped Aikido to do your stuff, not wanting to develop "bad habits" while he worked on such "great learning." Like I could really give a damn that you post about my lack of skills and the mistakes and inadequacies of others. The strings attached to your help only serve to insulate you at the top of some self-imposed food chain without you having to show much of anything for it. Why don't you go out there and earn it like other people out there. Go test your skills against those you like to put underneath your "level." Until then, why don't you work on yourself for awhile and allow us to work on what we do.

My prediction is that the other people out there teaching the "internal skills" will continue to grow in their popularity while helping all of us develop better skill sets. Their integrity of character is displayed in who they are as people and in what and how they offer their services to others. You, despite what you might have to offer, will become a victim of who you are. Less people will be willing to listen, less people will want to train and you become even more insular in your own little world. Sad prediction for you. Maybe, just maybe you want to step back and listen to what others are saying so that you can find a more social and connected way to work with others. I would consider meeting you again after I saw such changes. Until then, as one person said "an educated consumer is my best customer." With that in mind, I have no interest in what you might have to offer.

Regards,

Marc Abrams