View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #41
ashe

Dojo: Tempe Arizona I Liq Chuan
United_States
Re: Internal Power Development Methods

Quote:
Robert John wrote: View Post
Mmm... but you can be completely "out of structure" and still generate "hardness." The "structure" part provides hardness sure, but I'd say that's only in the beginning. There's something else that provides "hardness", yet is still "flexible." Alternatively it can be soft. At least ime.
mmm, i don't know. as long as the structure (bones) is being supported by the ligaments and tendons and not the muscles, then you can be relaxed and generate force. it's the muscular tension that screws up the power.

Quote:
Robert John wrote: View Post
Looking forward to it. By preciseness on point of contact, do you mean the angle of point of contact, pressure you give out etc?
pretty much.

BTW, did you know Nozomo is back in Japan? He went to Malaysia this year with Sifu and the others.

Quote:
Adam Bauder wrote: View Post
That's an interesting clip. I need to study it more along with what he's saying. However, with my cursory glance, what is gained by performing this exercise with tension, over remaining as relaxed as possible? I'm asking because, I'd be worried that an exercise, such as this, performed with "tension" might encourage unnecessary tightness in the shoulders and lower back. Unless I'm misunderstanding your use of the word, "tension"? Not to mention an implied amount of previous training that would supposedly address these issues?

Thanks,
Adam
well, physically you want to develop the ligaments and tendons (and fascia). it's will give you that type of power that lasts into old age. but you also want to train to maintain the 13 points, recognize / coordinate the five qualities as well as concepts like recognizing circle with center, center with cross and center to center within your movements. (lot's of awareness training going on here).

( you can see a short clip of a couple guys working with circle to center here, scroll down a little, it's the second video clip. you should be able to view without being logged in.circle with center)

but, tension isn't the same thing as being stiff or rigid. it's a type of elasticness. you start out drawing your circles loosley, then you start winding them tighter into softness and then tighter still into elasticness, then you can draw them tighter still and then release (fa jin).

Quote:
Joep Schuurkes wrote: View Post
Seems to be similar to what this guy is doing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzDsAzbsyH4, only the movements are bigger.
yes, the idea is the same.

tiger at the gate
-----------------------
discipline, concentration & wisdom
Twitter-@luoyegongfu