View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 12:16 AM   #28
ashe

Dojo: Tempe Arizona I Liq Chuan
United_States
Re: Internal Power Development Methods

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote: View Post
Can you clarify your use of the word "energy"?
let's do basics first...

Quote:
For edification, can you expand what each of these terms mean?
13 points are the reference points for attention within the body. things like tucking the ribs, condense to the dan tien, expand from the ming men, suspend the crown etc. since we don't have defined techniques you still need to use something to use as reference to act, so you put your attention on yourself, but that's a very vague statement, so it's been broken down into these 13 points.

the five qualities of unification are universal to all movement. absorb and project, expand and condense, the three planes, open and close and concave and convex. no matter how you move you'll be moving using those qualities, just a matter of whether or not they're coordinated properly.

Quote:
I understand the first part of the legs supporting the dantien, but I haven't come across the last part - extending the point to the opponents feet. Can you clarify that please?

Can you expand more on this? Why? How?
there's two things here.

1. yang path and yin path form two X' on the body, yang travels away from the ming men to the hands and feet and yin travels back to the dan tien. the yang actually wraps around the hips (from the ming men) to travel down the front of the legs, to the big toe, to the little toe where it joins the yin path from the little toe to the center of the foot, up the rear of the leg, into the groin, the perineum and to the dan tien. on the upper body it travels from the ming men, across the back, down the outside of the arm to the hands and back up the inside of the arms to the front of the body to the dan tien.

it's the macrocosmic energy cycle of yin and yang, basically like two figure eights, one in the upper or one in the lower, OR one on the left and one on the right, however you want to look at it.

but that's the foundational level, before you get into spiraling out from the fascia to the skin and back into the bones.

we train to drop the breath into the dan tien and compress it there, but it's like the cylinder. the ming men is the piston, so you compress the breath into the dan tien but the power is issued from the ming men (kidney area).

2. now as far as extending the point of contact into the opponents feet is a matter of preciseness on touch.

when you touch do you only capture the opponents hands?

in this way you can at least help prevent him from acting wildly, but much of your own power is wasted.

can you capture hands and upper mass?

if so then now you have the opponent more under your control. you can prevent him from striking freely, and you can inhibit his actions more fully but he's still free to step and to kick, etc. because you haven't used the upper mass to pressure the lower mass.

if you can control the hands and the upper and lower masses, then you will in effect have "jammed" or "frozen" the opponent on touch.

it's a matter of extending your leverage and applying force precisely. if i can apply more force in such a way that i can effect your feet, then i own you.

Last edited by ashe : 10-22-2009 at 12:20 AM.

tiger at the gate
-----------------------
discipline, concentration & wisdom
Twitter-@luoyegongfu