View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #29
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: real world aikido

If "I" were concerned with making students "martially capable"?

To be honest it'd look alot like what we see going on in the MMA trend to today, but slightly different as most are concerned with sport fighting primarily.

As I am somewhat partial to what we are teaching in the Army, i'd pretty much teach this core curriculum first. Teaching them about fight paradigms, getting them to understand the psychology of fighting, developing the emotional context and mental toughness and develop the willingness required to fight, teaching them how to close distance, seize the initiative, achieve dominance, finally teach them many different methods to finish fights with hands, feet, chokes, blunt objects, knives, guns. I'd put them into various "pressure" scenarios with multiple partners, and alone with multiple enemies. They would also learn the importance of physical conditioning and realize that if they do not have strength and stamina, that they probably will lose. they would mount up in protective gear, such as Blauer suits, and go full force on force.

After a year or so of training like this...i'd say that they have some basic martial capability.

again, this is assuming that well rounded martial capability is of a primary concern.