View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 12:18 AM   #17
mjchip
Dojo: Aikido Jinsei Dojo
Re: Dealing with a jerk...

IMO, it's the teacher's job to deal with situations such as this one. As I see this going on after I've demonstrated a basic form, I'll usually go over to the pair of students and bow to the one who was doing the resisting (providing incorrect resistance = too much resistance for the partner or the wrong kind of resistance which can be lack of commitment, resisting to put oneself in a martially inferior position, etc.). I will then verify that the person's ukemi feels correct and will pay close attention to how they do their half of the form with me and how they did it with the person they were working out with. If they pull the same stunt with me I'll let them know what they are doing is wrong (usually nonverbally or in a very terse manner). If they miraculously start taking good ukemi for me, I'll usually say something like "Yes, that is how your half of the form should look. Now go do that with your partner and stop resisting stupidly." Works most of the time without a lot of impact. Sometimes it takes a little more......

BTW, This really doesn't happen often in my dojo as all of my students know that I'm to be the ONLY one teaching during class. Their job is simply to shut-up and train.

In closing, in the event that your teacher doesn't see what's going on, get his/her attention and let them solve the problem.

Regards,

Mark

Last edited by mjchip : 08-31-2006 at 12:23 AM.