View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 08:46 PM   #39
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: Aikido against judo

One thing likely is that the pre-war yudansha that are now shihan might have tested their aikido on different arts. I have read that Shioda did so or at least more street oriented challenges. My sensei (Jorge and I have the same one) related in conversation at our last seminar that he used to work out with karate and judo black belts when he was younger to make sure his Aikido worked with them.

As pointed out by others, perhaps it's not that aikido does not work but rather you have not found how to make your aikido work. I visited a judo/jiu jitsu dojo once several years ago (1995) and guys of comparable rank in judo had some difficulty throwing me unless I let them. The kept telling me to relax which I was doing but to them relaxing meant to let them enter on me. By extending my ki and the old unbendable arm, it was difficult for them to get inside. So they tried to sweep my feet, I would simply lift my foot and let the sweep pass by while keeping my arms relaxed and unbendable and controlling my center. Now keep in mind none of us were very high ranked and I wasn't doing anything exceptional-just adapting to the different form of attacking. I just tried to maintain good aikido principles and adjust the best I could.