View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 06:54 PM   #38
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States
Re: Aikido against judo

Quote:
Keane Lee wrote:
Alright thank you all for your replies =) But the thing is i was firstly inspired by O Sensei, I rem reading that he easily threw both Shioda and Tohei Sensei when they "challenged" him.Both of them had Judo background.I know this isnt the best example.But Tohei Sensei cld defend himself against them too, needless to say Shioda sensei.Then i also read that Tohei Sensei's students cld do it too.I repeat his students as well.I believe when they accepted those challenges, the odds wasnt favorable to them.I need to know whether if i wld be able to defend myself if i continue practicing Aikido.Like i said before i started Aikido because i love the philosophy behind it and the martial aspect.I don;t want to learn it for like 15yrs, and i cant defend myself with it.And actually teach it to ppl when i am not even confident in defending myself.There must be something wrong somewhere.I am sure all the earlier practitioners cld defend themselves without a problem.Alright just want to know if you guys can take on your friend in just a friendly,you know,wrestling kinda thing.Not questioning the ability of anyone.I just need assurance.

Sorry i am now in a stated where i am confuse again.I really want to continue believe that Aikido is the Art that i have been looking for.But now i cant even defend myself against layman? I wld really hope if someone has the footage when Tohei sensei takes on other ppl like i mentioned just earlier.Just that probably seeing is believing.
Hi Again, Keane,

I read this message after replying ton your initial post, and I find that you are proving one of my points spectactularly: You went into Aikido thinking, even subconsciously, it would make you invincible, and when that hasn't happened, you are starting to vere to the oppisite extreme: "There's something wrong somewhere." All or nothing. It doesn't help. Reality, as I said above, is between those two extremes. But it may take a while to figure out what it is.

As for whether Aikido is the art for you, the question is, Do you like it? Do you like doing it? If the answer is yes, then what else do you really need?

For myself, I have just had an object lesson in why one should read the whole thread first.

Don't worry about it. Have fun.

Mike