View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #54
lbb
United_States
Re: Just how real is violence? And where does Aikido stands in all of this?

Quote:
Brian Beach wrote: View Post
I agree, I was representing one side. In your examples there is one that is acting outside the social norm. That is the person who's behavior will be regulated, eventually.
Eh. This is a kind of sick use of the word "regulation", and I dislike it very much. The "regulation" you describe really doesn't have anything to do with right or wrong, or reasonable or unreasonable boundaries. It's a matter of might making right. If I'm powerful, I get to "regulate". I get to say what's "reasonable". Our world teems with examples of oppression in which the powerful "regulate" where others may walk, what they may wear, when and how they may speak. Regulation is civilized when it says that no one may speak with a bullhorn at 3 AM outside people's homes, no matter what it is you're saying. Regulation is uncivilized, and a sick, barbaric distortion of the term, when it takes the form of a powerful person (physically or otherwise) bellowing "Shut your pie-hole!" at a less powerful person who is saying something that the powerful person does not like, and then forcing the less powerful person to be silent.