View Single Post
Old 05-29-2006, 07:37 PM   #400
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: The "Jo Trick" and Similar Exercises

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
To place an emphasis on developing internal power using Chinese methods would entail some substantial refocusing. So I remain unclear about how the process of re-discovering what was lost and re-introducing it to our training should proceed in a way that the larger mass of Aikido practitioners would benefit.
Just a quick comment,
I don't think it necessary to use Chinese methods to develop the body skills. I think there's a general lack of knowledge in traditional japanese methods of solo training.

In fact the ways you can train are numerous, even within a Jp only cultural context...Shiko, Spear training, Sumo exercises, understanding how to actually train with sword, other various body aligment exercises within jp styles etc.

At the bare minimum, if this were addressed, I think you'd see a jump in skill in those people that are willing to put the time and effort into this kind of repeitious training. (I will say it's hardly boring tho, once you get into the groove of things).

Really though, most "masters" were innovative in their exercises, and created their own custom made curriculum for themselves, once they understood exactly how they needed to train their bodies. This goes for Takeda, Sagawa, Ueshiba etc etc. Really I think that's what set them apart from everyone else.

Quoting Sagawa
(I am NOT a sagawa nutrider, I don't even do Daitoryu, lol, and I think the guy was a cocky SOB, but he is so quotable it's hard to resist )

"All you people, you try so desperately to learn from me, want me to teach you everything, while I've been innovating on my own for the past 20 years. Use your goddamn heads for once!
That's why you'll never be as good as me. "