Old 03-05-2009, 02:06 PM   #16
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Re: Aikido is not about fighting

Quote:
Stephen Kotev wrote: View Post
Craig,

If you don't mind I am going to play devils advocate.
well, yes. I do mind.

Quote:
So when you train in MMA you do not feel that you are: "improving myself so violent conflict with another human being will become less likely with time"? Are you sure?
I don't train in MMA, while I do know some people who are seriously involved in MMA it's not where I wish to spend my time. I have had discussions with them but I don't speak for them. I was stating how I see it and it really is meant just for contrast. The focus of my answer is on aikido which is the focus of your post not on MMA or any other competitive fighting art (eg. boxing) and what an individual may or may not think they are doing in that art.

Quote:
So what specific physical skills do you practice in your Aikido Dojo? Just tenkan and escapes? No throws or joint locks? The way this is written one could assume that you are primarily focused on practicing non-verbal de-escalation skills and evasions. Is that correct? If so why call it Aikido?
maybe you are just playing devil's advocate, but if not this just indicates to me you really aren't even in the right ballpark about what aikido is. So you think Aikido is the jujutsu waza you are learning ? There are already plenty of essays on this site and elsewhere that spell it out. If you are just a beginner, I apologize if I appear to lack the patience to engage in an endless back and forth but the point you are attempting to make is neither new nor interesting.

Last edited by kironin : 03-05-2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: typo