View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #22
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States
Re: 105) Aikido- Martial Arts Hidden Within: June 2013

Just to muddy the waters a bit, it's been my experience that those using words like "connection, , patience, tolerance" can easily be as fear-based and aggressive as those using words like "break, strike, kill." "Patience" = "You are so unreasonable that I have to demonstrate my great patience to deal with you." "Tolerance" = "It's a good thing that I'm so tolerant because otherwise I'd tear you a new one."

NOT applying this to anyone here, obviously--I don't know Mary and I'm certainly not going to offer a psychoanalysis of her. :-) But I do think that those who use words like like "strike, kill" know they are playing with fire, whereas those who use softer language may have fewer triggers to remind themselves to examine the attitude beneath the language. On the flip side, don't assume that those who use stronger language aren't totally aware of what they're doing and what the implications are.

Evolution doesn't prove God doesn't exist, any more than hammers prove carpenters don't exist.