View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: 105) Aikido- Martial Arts Hidden Within: June 2013

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
This would be much easier to read with some breaks between the lines.

While I agree with some of what you wrote you seem to becoming from a place of fear. I think that the practice of Aikido creates a peacefulness within which in turn we can project to the world.

The issue of self-defense can also came from a place of self-acceptance and an acknowledgment of the conditions at hand, always alllowing room for adaptation, considering the circumstances.
Mary:

I would suggest that you leave psychological interpretations of where other people are coming from to the pro's. If you genuinely knew me or could accurately read where I am coming from, then it would simply be impossible for you to conclude that I seemed to be coming from a place of fear. Did you not read this part of my blog?
" I believe that it is very important that a platform (waza) be initially taught with the safest, least violent ending as possible. This platform helps to develop a calm, peaceful and secure person who can allow the platform to find it's necessary outcome without becoming overwhelmed with anger, fear and anxiety."

Projection onto the world is nice sounding idea as long as the attacker is willing to buy YOUR projection (good luck finding attackers who are willing to do so). If you move from a calm, secure center, you can acknowledge the conditions at hand and respond according to the needs that are created by the situation. If you cannot do what is necessary, based on the needs of the situation, then you are in for a lot of trouble. All of that person's projections will do precious little to help if that person is not capable of adapting the techniques to fit the needs of the situation. What does help is to be taught a variety of different expressions from our compendium of techniques that represent the spectrum of possible, necessary outcomes. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that few dojos allow students to experience to possibilities contained with our waza.

As to the paragraph spacing, they exist on my blog site. The transfer to this site seems to eat up the spacing.

Marc Abrams