View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #22
aiki-jujutsuka

Re: The Voice Steven Seagal interview

Quote:
Yannis Mousoulis wrote: View Post
Unfortunatelly, i must agree with the second part of your post.
If i had to say anything negative about him is only that he is not in shape anymore. That surely affects his endurance and physical condition and even worse it sets a bad example.
Whether we like it or not, a martial arts teacher should be an example for his students and not only technicaly. Steven Seagal sensei has the technical skills, not doubt about it, but when it comes to nutrition and physical condition he does not reflect the discipline that a master should.
On the other hand, in order to be fair, his extra weight could be some kind of health problem (although that's no excuse) and let's keep in mind that other teachers fatter and less skillful as he is are rarely the target of such critisism as he has suffered.
He has been one of my greatest aikido inspirations and i'm glad that he is well and active!
I concur, Seagal is an inspiration to me too. It's a shame he's not in the condition he was (or similar to) during his early film career in the late 80s - early 90s. However, I do wonder does Seagal still practise Aikido on a regular basis? The impression I got from his Lawman series as well as his involvement with MMA is that he still teaches martial arts, but splits his time between many different things and I'm not sure how much Aikido plays a part in that anymore.