Old 03-24-2007, 11:25 AM   #15
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: The Point of Aikido

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
Ron,
You've read my stuff over the years... I am the FIRST (not literally) one to advocate doing other training to enhance one's skills.
Absolutely. One of the reasons that I respect you so much is because you have had excellent students, who cross-trained, and then decided to leave aikido to pursue those arts. And you didn't abuse, discourage, or disconnect from them. You encouraged them instead. It is a rare instructor who incourages his students even when they leave. That is the measure of the aikidoka and instructor you are.

Quote:
You and I were at the Expos, we both continue to seek out training which will make our Aikido better. But, unless I am mistaken, you are an Aikido man to the core. Outside training is to make your Aikido better. The same with me. I continue to get as much exposure as I can from folks who can show me things that will make my Aikido better.
Again, spot on. I won't be leaving aikido any time soon I think.

Quote:
Aikido should be better than it is, improving it will entail some help from outside, but we don't want to lose track of the point as we do this.
I don't think we will. And I also don't think that some of those from outside are expecting that. Mike for instance, speaks of training for health...the power is part of it, but I think a lot of his focus is the health benefits. Dan has a lot of different goals I think...but what I see anyway is a focus on being the best Dan he can be. I take seriously the goals you have stated, and the ones they have conveyed to me. I may be mistaken about them, but that is what I see.

For me:

the body is the bow
the heart/mind is the arrow
the arrow flies straight and true

what of the target?
there is no target
all is one.

Best always,
Ron (just finished an absolutely fantastic class with Garret Fuller...you have some superb guys in the ASU...)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)