View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #251
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: Why do you perceive "internal" superior to athleticism?

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
Okay, video as I promised.

I'll be the first to say, my shikko doesn't look nearly as good as Ark's. I have also only done this exercise twice in my life, for about a total of 60 seconds. If I had a year to practice, I'm sure it would look much better. I wanted to get the video up quickly though, because I promised I would.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMHuWiIquTM
Rrm...again Chris, you'd have to get the ratio's right, and do it with someone a lot heavier to simulate the same kind of load/duress. (Remember, Ark's only what...140lb at most?)

That being said, when you do it next time flex the ankle of the leg being raised, and let me know if it changes the stability when you do the exercise.

Not a bad attempt, since you got solid core and leg strength, which is required by IS/IP.

The difference mainly lies in the fact that you're trying to raise your leg by "raising the leg." Ark raises the leg by pushing into the supporting leg with his core, which causes a rebound force that floats the leg that is raised. (There's also a particular look to the legs when they're used as a unit, which yours doesn't have) And so on and so forth. The devil is in the details.
No one ever said just cause you could do the exercise "you have IP"

As for the kokyu-ho demo, you blasted the guy, whereas Ark popped the guy up without the other guy letting go. A seemingly small but extremely "large" difference, which denotes that Ark's forces were connected to the other guy, as opposed to simply overwhelming the other person with superior force.