View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #16
robin_jet_alt
Australia
Re: Are you interrupting attacks?

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
Nah. It's because that's how we do it (Yokomen Uchi Shihonage Ni, in this case). We bang his arm while it's still unwinding the strike and we bash his face with the high hand if he doesn't block strongly enough. It's my intention to break his intention, even if I don't need to. No Ai this time.
Just kido.
I spoke with Inoue Kyoichi sensei (formerly of Yoshinkan) a few years ago, and he told me about the rationale behind Yoshinkan's "hard" training as he sees it. He said that while he appreciates the flow and what have you that is sought after by the other styles, he doesn't believe that any sort of power is possible without first thoroughly drilling in form (kata) until it becomes ingrained. Once it becomes a part of your body, you can start to think about the subtleties of the art. This is why Yoshinkan training appears to be very staccato to the outsider. He went on to say that at the higher levels, there should be no strength or clashing in Yoshinkan aikido and that techniques should be performed as smoothly as any other style. The trouble is when students lose sight of the greater picture and grow fixated on the training they have done from the beginning. They grow so attached to what they have practiced for years that they refuse to let go and do not progress past a certain point.

I actually completely agree with him. I think the Yoshinkan model is a very good way to learn aikido. Students learn martiality and form at first, and when they grow comfortable with it, they can move on to the deeper aspects. I also agree with him about the dangers that are inherent in this model, which brings me to my point.

If you are just banging, you are not just missing the 'ai', you are missing the 'aiki' and arguably also the 'do'. What you are practicing is kata. Kata is a very important first step, and I don't want to put you off your practice, but be aware that there is more to it than that, and try not to present yourself as superior, just because you train 'harder' than some.