View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 02:13 AM   #37
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Germany
Re: Teaching .... I have a question.

Quote:
Jonathan Olson wrote: View Post
My take is that the kihon are an entry point. They give you a framework in which to learn the important principles and ways of being that are important to learning the art. To stick to the teaching aspect, I would say that as a teacher you have to design your basics in a way that they will never have to be unlearned. Eventually a student should discover that a lot of the little details are not so important, but they should never be in conflict with your vision, as the teacher, of what the students are trying to achieve. Maybe part of your problem is that you have trained in too many traditions in a same art while not acknowledging the huge variation that exists in aikido in terms of what people are trying to become.
Jonathan,
as I said, I agree in principle, I just do not see it done in many places, and I do not se the results - briliant young teachers who will surpass theirs - happening in too many places either. But maybe I just miss it. To me, you are talking theory, but if it is your reality, I have no right or intention to contest it.

As for my affiliation, dont worry, in terms of grading it has always been the same teachers, for more than 15 years. Let's not make it a "your problem is" conversation.

I suppose my goals in aikido and observations about aikido are just different from yours. But no need to repeat myself what they are. Have a nice day!