View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #143
CSFurious
United_States
Re: Mixing Aikido with other martial arts

this is not the Aikido training that i am talking about

you need to leave that dojo & go visit some other Aikido schools

eventually, you will experience what i am talking about & you will appreciate your current instructor even more than you already do
Quote:
Brian Dewey wrote: View Post
Let's see here. I belong to a dojo that has as its head instructor a former SWAT officer in the local police department and many dojomates who are former military, not to mention that our shihan is Larry Reynosa (who was the former top student on Seagal...that is, when Seagal was in his prime). The focus of our training is realistic self-defense. No "here, please grab my wrist" sort of nonsense. This was "hit 'em with everything you have" sort of training. No shonenuchi stuff sort of nonsense or other stylized sort of attacks. Just the "punch me!" sort of attacks.

Reynosa Sensei was at our dojo a couple weeks ago (don't believe me? http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14044). We were put through the ringer. My left shoulder still hurts...2 weeks later! I'm 180lbs. at 5'7" (not fat, either). I threw everything I had at my training partners. Reynosa wouldn't have anything less.

I'm completely conviced that Aikido "works."