View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 10:20 AM   #140
DH
United_States
Re: How to teach and train relaxation

Hi George

You guys are far more elequant than I am. You just went along way round to saying....exactly....what I have been saying for years.
Severe training-in my case MMA-with pain, is a way to train men to work through it as an issue, while remaining focused and relaxed and moving. Facng it, changes you. Some (Hi, Dennis) live it.

Many, from fear, deny this to be true in their training and train in a casual non challenging environment and consider it a form of abuse. It most assuredly not and just happens to be a superior model to actually train men to live and face life-with all its fears.

I also love the model of the chief instructor. More people enter Budo "with issues." and move on up without dispensing with them. Finding a healthy mind, with substantial skiils is one thing. Finding one that can teach and get others there is even more difficult.
To have that and be able to train safe with pain and thresholds while remaining open in spirit and form is quite telling.
One, the pain is greatly reduced to the point of being incidental. Secondly, the relaxed mind reads things much faster. Third the connected body, held by the relaxed mind moves as whoile much faster, and in a joined fachion that is superior to most anything.

Last is something I have been saying on the net and to those who train with me for years. This training gives you a feeling of living "free in the world" that is hard to describe. It is THEE sense of empowerment and lack of fear and...........makes forgiveness seem easy to do, giving seem natural. Forgiving and acceptance is a very powerful tool.
Ok OK,,,I'm gonna get slammed....put the granola away. but I'd suggest there is a better way.

It's why I loved systema the moment I had it explained to me by a mutual friend of ours. Not the total training regimen but the goals and many of the methods.
Many fighters and wrestlers have a relaxed sense of acceptance and confidance born of trial. Many in BJJ as well. The Gracie family adopts a wholestic way of life also. Vlad is spiritually on that path as well...full speed.
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 12-20-2006 at 10:35 AM.