View Single Post
Old 07-25-2003, 05:12 PM   #16
candice
Dojo: Aiki Budo Centre North
I realize that this thread may be coming to a close. However, I was the one who invited Chizuko Matsuo Sensei to Aiki Budo North, would like to say a few words in the spirit of "harmony", and end this discussion on a positive note.

First, let me say that I have had the pleasure of learning from all three of the Senseis in London. All of them have unique skills to offer. In addition to attending my regular dojo, I have also been attending a "kenshu" class with the instructor alluded to by Anonymous, for the past 4 months. Perceptions, personalities, and teaching styles can influence things, and no two people perceive the same event, in the same way. I am an intense person and I need ongoing intense focus on learning and direct, honest, constructive criticism in order for me to move beyond where I am now in my aikido development. That is exactly what I get, no holds barred. I value this instruction, and respect it and have grown to respect this particular Instructor, immensely. He originally offered his dojo as a location for the Women's Aikido Gathering if the Community Centre was unavailable.

Second, I would like to address another issue raised in discussion during this thread. A number of you have commented on the lack of high ranking female instructor's participation at clinics. This may not be an intentional thing, but it may send out a message, none-the-less. I know this from participation at various clinics. I suspect that if more high ranking women were invited to instruct, we would see more women turning out to events. It is important to remember that just as guys take their male role models and inspirational instructors for granted, many women need role models they can relate to, as well. And many men have demonstrated that they can set aside fear and ego, chill out, and enjoy learning from a powerful woman with excellent technique.

Since 1999, I had a dream of inviting Chizuko here for a clinic. My goal in hosting this event, with the full support of Senseis in this area, was to provide an exceptionally inspirational role model for other women and teenaged girls to be exposed to, and aspire to, in an intensive setting, with other women. That's all, simply put, in a nutshell. (oh, and since no one is truly altruistic, to also experience this for myself!) I respect him for acknowledging this need, and understanding my vision and my reasoning.

One of the sessions focused entirely on women's self-defence. While the Saturday and Sunday were "women and teenaged girl only ", Monday night was co-educational. The opportunity was there for all aikidokas in town to participate at a very nominal fee of $15.

I think an all-women's event creates a different dynamic on the mat. Note I mean different, not better or worse, or in the words of one writer, "strange" except in that it is unusual to see over 40 women in a dojo at the same time, training and playing hard! I have received numerous responses to a feedback questionnaire that indicate as such. Most found it refreshing and inspiring to SEE and train with so many women, of differing ranks and aikido styles. There were a few mother-daughter participants as well!

On the mat, and off, Chizuko Sensei posssesses a rare gift. She is a born teacher. In addition to having achieved 6th Dan, she has devoted a large part of her life to the study of aikido. She receives instruction from Terada Sensei once every week, has been doing Aikido for over 30 years, runs her own Dojo in Japan, and teaches 6 days per week. She is continually learning from someone who was there as O'Sensei's student, bringing us closer to the origin from which this knowledge came. These are amazing credentials for any visiting Sensei, and deserve great respect. Thus it was wonderful to see her teach an unplanned session at the 2003 Aikido Festival. She was not on the original list, to my knowledge but perhaps I am mistaken here.

May I suggest something? Perhaps we could en-vision a dream where some day in the near future, it will be standard practice for both men and women of high ranks (6th Dan was high enough for the 1999 & 2000 clinics in London) to be routinely invited to share their aikido knowledge with eager and open minds, hearts and bodies.

Ability is measured by power, indomitable spirit, focus, perseverance, integrity, patience, practice, and accuracy, period. Gender, size and age are irrelevant in the final analysis. Aikido is and should be, in the words of O'Sensei "for everyone". Chizuko is living proof of that, for me.

Candice Lawrence