View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #169
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Spiritual and i/p

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
I think the "pushy" feeling comes from replies to people who push in a passive aggressive way, haha!

They dismiss valid statements with no proof or experience and then up the ante when a reply comes in. They don't know what they're talking about, but they just love to talk.

If "put up or shut up" is pushy, then people have just lost touch with the real nature of budo.

Best to you.

David
Passive-aggressive!? Why must you hate freedom, David?
I agree the pushy feeling has been experienced on both "sides" of the debate. The nature of past conversations has definately colored the present. Human politics as usual, I suppose.
Also, I'd like to be clear, I don't think people are trying to be pushy, just that it comes across that way sometimes.
And I think there's something to be said for the fact that we are martial artists to some degree or another (me to a lesser extent than just about anyone else here, I know). My perhaps not-so-humble opinion is that many people who have very assertive natures tend to be attracted to martial arts and that assertive quality can make a "colorful" conversation "pregnant with pushy." Then agan, I'm often told I'm not assertive enough, so maybe my vantage is biased in that regard.
Regarding put up or shut up, I agree with the principle of proving through example, but I don't believe in the "shut up" part. For lack of a more subtle description, people have the right to be wrong, never mind the "half-right" things that might get said. I think the "shut up" side of that equation poisons conversations that could be better, if not, plain ol' good. In person it makes more sense than on a forum of communication, at least.
I dunno...maybe I'm not a budo-dude. I understand the severity to budo; even like it, but I don't think it's automatically the best way to handle people. I'd rather be severe with myself and soft on others...but I'm rambling now...
...and hey, wasn't I going to post less?
Take care, David!
Matt

Quote:
Mary wrote:
As do issues in personal style and attitude about things beyond martial arts.
Aint that the truth!

Last edited by mathewjgano : 05-29-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Gambarimashyo!