View Single Post
Old 05-09-2005, 12:06 PM   #256
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Chris,

A real live example was asked for, and I gave rather specific instructions about how to go about finding one. Please, by all means, go and find out for yourself. As far as bringing that person to the States for you or Jason, I can't even have that specific sempai come to the States to teach a seminar because I would have to invite his sensei and let that sensei decide to come, or pass the invitation on to anyone that sensei wants - which would probably NOT be the guy I wanted in the first place. If that specific sempai came to the States and did a seminar without permission, he'd not be welcome back to his home dojo. That's the reality of his Japanese culture.

As far as me passing the buck. Some guy came to visit me, and let him try - no buck passed there. I consistently go to friendship seminars and try all kinds of people who are really good. I never avoid anyone there. Some take me apart, and some have a lot more to learn. Each time, I learn all sorts of things. Those consistent actions are pretty much the exact opposite of passing the buck on the subject. While we both have written about our personal experiences, the thing is that I know I'm not so good at aikido that I can make blanket statements about aikido based on my personal experiences. As a matter of fact, in my own experiences, I do know someone that would be happy to let you challenge his open-handed aikido ability - you just have to accommodate his culture. It's up to you.

Good luck with your training.
Rob