View Single Post
Old 02-16-2005, 12:00 PM   #15
Aristeia
New Zealand
Re: PBT question

Quote:
Chris Sacksteder wrote:
Couple of comments:

Yes three man randori is tough, but then again isn't this a realm where aikido in theory excels? Flowing with the movement, not getting involved with one person etc...
In theory. And we use a drill called jiyu waza to develop that. But it's just that, a drill. If you think your Aikido gives you the ability to keep your feet against 3 people intent on dogpiling you, I've got some bad news...
Quote:
If your immediate reaction to a tough situation is to knock peoples teeth out, are you also training heavily in atmei to back that up?
Sure, that's what cross training is for
Quote:
What about two guys, do you still just bang heads or do you practice your aikido then. What about one really bug guy with bad breathe? How quickly are you going to abandon your aikido and start crushing genitalia?
What on earth makes you think that applying atemi is abanoning my aikido? Two guys? You bet I'm going to want to strike as I enter. One guy? If it's a serious situation? Same answer. But look at the footage again. From memory I think every nage in that test gets caught going backwards. The only way to enter and take control is to do it decisivly and against three, with those sorts of attacks, you certainly would need to be striking. You still don't have much of a chance, but better than just trying to apply pure waza
Quote:
Second, at the end of the tape, you hear Seagal Sensei saying "show what you've got when you've got nothing left". That's how I interpreted the test randori. Put someone in a no-win situation and see if they still keep trying to survive or do they just give up.
Well hang on which is it, something which Aikido excels at or a no win situation? Like I say if it's there to instill humility and make people realise they're not ready to talk smack to a gang, or if it's there to simply see how they fight when everything goes to hell, fair enough I guess. But if it's supposed to be a demonstration of Aikido technique, I think it has limited value.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"