View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
mdsmith
Need some advice/ insight on Commitment

I have been a bit of a martial art dabbler for nearly 20 years. I started in Seidokan karate when I was 7, did it for a couple years, then quit. In my early teens I discovered aikido, which I also took for a couple of years and quit. Next, in my late teens, I got into American kenpo, and same thing happened. From there on(I'm 29 now), I've been back to both kenpo and aikido several times, with most of my time spent in kenpo, which I know hold a brown belt in. So, as you can see, I have a bit of a commitment problem. After a year hiatus, I'm looking to give something another shot. Part of me wants to go back to kenpo and get my black belt, just to prove to myself that I can stick with something. I realize that black belt isn't the end, but it will give me some sense of completion. The other part of me wants to go back to aikido because at this point in my life it has more to offer. Whats I mean is that I'm not just worried about defending myself. I was hoping for some advice/thoughts on what you would do. Thank you