View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #111
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: Why don't we practice chokes?

Mr. Italiano,
I disagree with a couple of your conclusions. First, I'm not clear on what you mean by "grabbing a neck". A rear naked choke certainly affects the neck, but isn't applied by "grabbing". That word suggests a brutal and unfocused, perhaps even wrenching movement to apply the restraint. I suppose that in a fight for life, the person applying the technique might resort to grabbing as I understand it. A trained individual wouldn't grab anything - it is a rather subtle application.

Secondly your proposition that taking a life is always wrong is far too black and white for me. I agree that taking a life or hurting someone unnecessarily is wrong, but the operative word is unnecessarily.

Lastly I disagree with your thesis that many of us harbor some murderous sub-conscious inclination or desire and conceal it with a conscious "peace, love and harmony" attitude. Perhaps some do. If you have any data to support that thought, please share it. Otherwise these are merely your opinions - opinions you are entitled to hold certainly, but they don't rise to the level of fact.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."