View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006, 12:36 AM   #75
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: What is "Aikido"?

Quote:
Chhi'mčd Künzang wrote:
It sounds like you *are* keeping score.
... Erick, you are the one inserting the emotional content and acting as though I am attacking you personally.
I've been a lawyer and aikidoka too long to care if someone attacks me or not. I just want to make sure it is a clean and direct attack -- THAT I can work with. The other stuff is just, well, not useful, and needs to be noted as such.
Quote:
Chhi'mčd Künzang wrote:
I made it quite clear that my comments apply to everyone who teaches Aikido to the extent that they are 'building their own explanatory framework'.
I think my point is that I do not want "my own." I want to apply a framewrok that is beyond individual predilection or whim, and as close to universal as I can get.
Quote:
Chhi'mčd Künzang wrote:
If you wanted to ignore how he trained, why talk about 'Aikido' at all?
Because he said so. He developed aikido to shortcircuit his essentially unguided shugyo marathon exercises that led to it. I train in aikido to get what he got by the means he provided. Aikido does not recapitulate O-Sensei's life story, nor was it meant to.

Quote:
Chhi'mčd Künzang wrote:
Well, I guess I'm arguing to the audience who understands the important differences in how you would train to invent nuclear weapons or artillery, and how you would train to gain skill in a body-based art like Aikido.
And saying that because they are differnt that analytic thought or nifty math does NOT apply is non sequitur. O-Sensei clearly believed that part of the disease was an essential element of the cure.

Subtlety in application and appreciaiton of force are the watchwords of both analytical physics and aikido. If we seek to train in a spirit that will remedy the very unhealthy budo of nuclear arms (and other technical accomplishments of warlike aim), we cannot shrink from addressing the spirit of aiki toward the budo that led to them, and that budo is largely framed by lots of "nifty math."
Quote:
Chhi'mčd Künzang wrote:
It's not about you Erick, and we don't need to keep score.
Well, where's the fun in that?

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.