View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Re: differances between school

John Power gives good advice, and so do the others. In my opinion Aikido is - with a few exceptions - usually not the martial art to pick up if fighting in the street is your purpose. Hapkido, Jiu-jitsu or any of the more freestyling striking arts may get you there faster (newer karate styles, tae kwon do or Kung Fu for example). Or go with MMA / Gracie JJ or boxing. I've also seen some people use Arnis after a a relative short time spend in training.

I'm not saying Aikido is not effective in a fight. It may be - depending on skill level and the way it is being taught, but it is just not very often taught in a way that will enable you to win a bar brawl after 20 easy lessons. However if you are looking for a way to defend yourself with as little damage on the attacker as possible, and are willing to spend the time on the mat fine tuning your reflexes and sensiblity to others, then Aikido is a great journey. It just have very few short cuts.

Actually you will not get really got at bar fights in any Martial art within a short while, so if you are looking for 'effective' then go with a gun. (disclaimer: I am being somewhat ironic to prove a point - I do NOT encourage anybody to buy a gun and carry it around for self defence).

If you heart is set on Aikido check out the dojo's in within reasonable commuting distance and choose the one where you enjoy the practice the most. Based on chemistry with the sensei and the other students not to mention their approach to Aikido. Nothin beats hands on experience.

Good luck

JJF

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration