View Single Post
Old 06-11-2003, 09:51 PM   #72
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Quote:
So I point out that there is in fact something of a divide taking place between the spiritual seekers and the fighters, so to speak, in Aikido. I do not think that that is what O-Sensei's Aikido was about. In fact I think that Aikido is like a great big Koan (those Zen questions used to tie up the logical functions of the monks). At the heart of the art is the fact that it is both a martial art and a spiritual path. Holding both of these things simultaneously and trying to master both is difficult but represents one of the things that make aikido unique in many ways. But none of us can figure it out, solve the Koan so to speak, if we split up the art into pieces and remove seeming contradiction. O-Sensei said that Budo is Love. That is a truly radical notion. I don't think that that can be understood by focusing on one aspect or the other but in trying to reconcile the seeming contradiction for oneself through training that maintains the balance between the martial and the spiritual.
Sensei Ledyard,

This was so very well written, I had to quote the whole paragraph. And I see it too. I try not to laugh when I see or hear someone explain Aikido in a purely technical fashion so as not to walk on the "spiritual" side of it (to avoid any potential contraversy) only to then lean heavily on the spiritual aspect of Aikido to explain the technique.

Reminds me of the M.C. Escher drawing ( http://www.worldofescher.com/gallery/A13.html ) of a hand, holding a pencil that is drawing a hand holding a pencil... drawing the first hand.

Can't have one without the other.

Aikido is Martial. Aikido is Spiritual. The GOOD news is Aikido transends the realm of speech in that you can teach and learn visually and everyone... eventually, will come to know Aikido as O'Sensei intended. I believe this about Aikido above all other philisophical ideas I may have regarding the art.