View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #27
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like A Woman Scorned: Threads About Women In Aikido

I was surprised to see this thread originated by you ("Buck") after the strength thread to be honest. I would have thought that you couldn't help but think this is an even more dubious position to take. Pure physical strength is a fairly easy thing to quantify hence compare. Emotional responses are complex, wide, varied things among and between the genders. Much more difficult to quantify and compare. And with significant overlapping this is a muddy path at best...

Honestly I'd say these sorts of generalizations about emotional responses is even less of an issue than strength differences when someone steps out onto the mat. And you seemt to be reading things into responses that I for the life of me don't see.

Everyone comes into Aikido for a very unique variety of reasons. Everyone's motivations are rich and varied and to simplify it down to such small aspects such as venting aggression seems silly to me. Heck, I didn't get into this stuff to learn to vent aggression at all and I'm one of those big neanderthal males... And "Hell hath no fury...?" Ugly behavior of that sort is not limited to the female gender by any stretch. Passive aggressive weenies, obsessional behavior, etc. all cross gender lines. We're talking about some serious overlap here and it makes the discussion of differences in physical strength pale in comparison.

I think Janet has a point -- you seem to viewing both these issues through "rose colored lenses".

Last edited by Keith Larman : 06-14-2008 at 10:15 AM. Reason: clarification and Janet is too fast for me...