View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 05:49 AM   #50
Lee Salzman
Re: "stance of heaven (and earth)" and IS

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post

I'm sitting in a bureau which I share with my colleague. I don't dare to follow your advice right now ...

We often do exactlcy what you describe during aiki taiso.
It feels more like bouncing off the earth than like jumping.

I try to move not with my feetandlegs and not with my upper body/chest but with the hara or if possible tanden. It feels as if the feet are always there where and when needed.
It's the center that goes. And for this you are right, the weight or position of the feet doesn't matter I think.

I have an image I think. But "in outer space" there is no possibility to move along the wall, which is what I want to do on earth? Or should I try to "reach the sky" in every step? Could you elaborate a little bit?

But I dont see the contrdaction - if it was one - to my cited statement? What do I not understand?
I was more just thinking about the wonders of surface friction, and at the same time when all concerns of single or double weighting are removed. Wouldn't you know, human hands and feet are even adapted for it.

But, what would shifting your center, and not moving with the feet/legs or hands/arms, mean in an environment where you could not push just off and then rely on gravity to fall back down and forwards? If you just tried to shift your center forward, weightless, what would happen?

But like all gedanken, it's just a hastily thought up way of pointing out absurdities to help us re-examine what we take for granted.

Bonus gedanken: those walls are now made of perfectly frictionless ice. Now what?

Last edited by Lee Salzman : 11-16-2011 at 05:54 AM.