View Single Post
Old 11-24-2004, 12:31 AM   #1
Wynand van Dyk
South Africa
Playing around with Atemi

Have anyone every played, on their own time or as part of dojo training with strikes? Not in the sense of delivering / defending against them but rather trying to alter the "depth" of the strike, making it penetrate more or diffusing it on the surface of your partner.

I think that you need a partner to practice strikes, you cannot get the correct kind of feedback from a punching bag, I believe that you also dont need to deliver the strikes very hard to get the desired result.

Have anyone here tried using their breathing to change the characteristics of their strikes? exhaling when delivering a strike and inhaling when "cocking" a strike are well known but have anyone tried to alter their breathing when receiving a strike? Do you inhale or exhale or do something completely wierd with your breathing when on the receiving end?

I have some ideas that I want to try out before or after class at our dojo but I first need to find some willing partners to strike and be struck by.

I also want to know what the opinion is of breaking the support / taking the balance of your partner with your legs. Not in the sense of fancy high kicks but maybe dropping a knee into the back of their knee or placing a foot in the spot where you suspect they would want to step to if they wanted to regain their balance and thus foiling their attempt. I understand that tripping and judo style footsweeps are pretty much out of the window when it comes to training Aikido but I believe that being comfortable with using your legs to affect your partner's balance has much worth and should not be ignored.

Opinions and further ideas are welcome.