View Single Post
Old 04-02-2005, 01:05 PM   #10
Ki No Nagare
Dojo: Aikido School Ki no Nagare
Netherlands
Re: Fitness and aikido

Quote:
Paul Finn wrote:
It appears to me that a number of aikido dojo's do not take their fitness seriously. That very often these dojo never push their students limits physically.

I do not understand the concept of pushing yourself to your physical limits in an aikido training. And if a student wants to do so, he may but it is not the responsibility of the dojo.

Maybe I study a much more mental form of aikido. We have people 60 years of age in our dojo, we do not expect them to be very fit, but the philosophy is that you can do aikido no matter how old you are, or how big, small, fat or slim. So they do!

If I want to get a good work out, I will go to the gym.
I understand that you will have to be 'fit' enough to get through training. Because your attacks against others must be realistic.
Or else you won't be helping the nage at all.
But that shouldn't require much condition nor strength. Only tiresome part of training is pain and getting up 10000 times....that's all.

But if I am doing the technique, I can rest, I must focus but I use no power at all. So tell me what is the purpose of having great strength if you don't need it?

If you can lift 4 kilograms in each hand, you can do Aikido. So what would be the point in lifting more?

Last edited by Ki No Nagare : 04-02-2005 at 01:08 PM.