View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #31
Buck
United_States
Re: Did Aikido die with O'Sensei?

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Oh really? How so?
Why the focus on men being so.... You said, I think you're right -- aikido has this bizarre and IMO unhealthy fundamentalist streak a mile wide. I'm just waiting for all the male aikidoka to decide that they need to that wispy O-Sensei facial hair to be doing real aikido.

Why choose that type of example, that type of analogy, that connotation, that connection to. The last part is pretty insulting. So unhealthy fundamentalist men then are the ones responsible for the unhealthy fundamentalist streak that is a mile wide, as you see it? Is your reasoning based on the fact that more men choose to practice Aikido than women, that men generally stay longer in aikido then women too? Why mention men in the first place, unless...! It is pretty clear to me it is a personal prejudice against men in Aikido. Men that you stereotype here very negatively and who for some reason are responsible for a predominately unhealthy fundamentalist Aikido as you see it. Something that is not the way you want it. Is Aikido too fundamental, too male? Something you wish to subvert, and say replace it with something more healthy and liberal say your pro-feminist ideals? Established in your words are underpinnings of prejudicial slighting all Aikido men.

The criticism reflects there is a double standard here, a reverse double standard. That in its self is pretty self-slighting. What? I can’t be offended by such slights and offending references that would be equal or greater in offensive to women, if said about women? Say Betty Crocker, Aunt Jemima or Martha Stewart was used instead of O’Sensei. Or if not women, say color or race. Would it not be racist if you stated instead of all men, but “all black men” and used a well known stereotype of black men to replace O’Sensei? And instead of facial hair you referenced a facial feature or characteristic of the African-American race, say the shape of the nose, or design of the lips. Just because the details are different, the framework remains the same.

Please reconsider what you said and how you said it. PLS. provide me the same respect that you as a female on this board is awarded.

Last edited by Buck : 05-10-2009 at 10:05 PM.