View Single Post
Old 04-28-2005, 07:31 AM   #7
sunny liberti

Dojo: Shobu Aikido
United_States
Re: Training while pregnant

Well, Rob spelled out the case so well that I don't have much to add, except for my experience and feelings about my experience. I do have very strong feelings and a lot of passion about this topic, but in no way do I mean to attack you for asking about this.

I trained during my first pregnancy, which lasted 7 weeks. I suffered under the delusion that we all hear that it would be fine. Probably there was no connection between miscarrying and training. But I did learn that, while my children's lives are theirs and I can't totally control the outcome or course, I DO have every responsibility to give them the *best* possible chance I can. And actively training martial arts while they are inside my body is not doing that.

I did not train at all as soon as I thought it possible that I might be pregnant the next time. Wasn't really too hard as I puked for 7 months anyway! Rob already mentioned our car accident at 7.5 months. Please hear me that you have no idea what can go wrong until it does - even if you already have kids. There are enough risks that you can't avoid (like driving - unless you live in a city), so why add avoidable risk to it? You have no idea the suffering you are gambling. And I can only imagine the guilt that would be added knowing it was something avoidable.

As Rob also mentioned, when I hear women say things about how they take full responsibility for their baby's safety, I cringe. That's impossible, seeing as the have no clue what they are actually risking, and given that we are *all* responsible for the safety of everyone on the mat. *Especially* the defenseless little one - no matter what future-Mom says. I am not willing to take on that responibility as it is reckless.

It makes me sad that some women hide this reckless behavior under the banner of feminism or women's rights. To me sufferage has nothing to do with gambling our children's safety to satisfy our desires..

I know first hand that missing training sucks. But having an injured baby sucks more. And guess how much you'll get to train if you're caring for a high-needs child... Or because what would be a totally minor bump gave you long-term injury beacuse your body was just so stretched out and your joints extra vulnerable due to the relaxin in your system. Now imagine caring for an injured baby *while* you're injured. I hope you only ever have to imagine.

Good luck with your training and your (future) family!! I wish all the best...

Last edited by sunny liberti : 04-28-2005 at 07:34 AM.

Sunny

A brave man dies once; cowards are always dying." --Moanahonga, Ioway