Thread: The Way of Aiki
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #112
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom
Re: The Way of Aiki

So, there seem to be lots of descriptions of how to do stuff but it is all in the context of Taichi or other non-Japanese arts. What I am into or after is to explain it in terms of Aikido and stuff more closer to what we normally do. I too have trained elsewhere but when I do Aikido I don't want to do something else, if you know what I mean. They way I see things is not exactly Aikido in nature either, but, I think we need to try to explain stuff in a way that everyone who does Aikido can understand, otherwise, might was well go read a Taichi forum. Personally, I can see a lot in say, the exercises found in Tomiki/Shodokan Aikido and their katas; I can see very interesting stuff in Yoshinkan methods, and I think we have a lot of stuff hidden away in kokyuu-ho and tenkan-ho etc. Shin-shin Toitsu Aikido has its tricks too. And Kyushin Aikido (Kenshiro Abe, UK) also has some fascinating concepts, as no doubt do many more groups/styles. People need to dissect such and to see what is hidden in there in plain sight. And kokyuu-nage contains endless material. Not to mention cutting with the sword and moving with the jo etc. I think the aiki we are after is discoverable in our own Aikido context, though it does help to look elsewhere to help get a bearing on it. But once you have a bearing, it is full steam ahead.