View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #9
dragonteeth
Dojo: Elkton Ki-Aikido
United_States
Re: Where?When?Can I find classes near me? HELP

I tend to agree with Ron, but for a different reason. Newbies aren't the only ones who surf websites for a new dojo. I may be relocating in the future, and have been scoping out the schools in the areas I might end up. It's amazing how much or how little information is available on different sites. What is truly irritating is when the link to a dojo you might really want to visit is dead. Then you're left not only wondering when they practice but also whether they're still practicing at all. For some reason (*ahem* Ron?) I've stumbled across over half a dozen Yoshinkan sites that are dead...

However, I have also learned that what you read on some of the sites is not always very factual even though it looks good. There's one site that lists the instructor as the head of of X organization for Y martial art linked to Z Sensei, the recognized head of the international organization of Y and legitimate heir to the leadership (like Doshu). However, a brief conversation with Shihan A of organization B who has a very well established and recognized relationship with Z Sensei (and pulled some half dozen years as uchi-deshi with Z) revealed absolutely no relationship between X and Z. In fact, a student of A dropped in anonymously and found X doing a number of things that Z Sensei specifically and emphatically tells his students *not* to do.

Confused yet? I hope that didn't trigger ugly flashbacks of algebra class for someone!

So the moral of our story is - while there is some really great information about some really awesome groups on the 'Net, doublecheck any information that is critical to you with an external source.