Old 01-19-2006, 10:22 AM   #19
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: aikido practice

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:

My question/thoughts are as follows:
1. If I can get may lazy butt off the couch, then doesn't that indicate at least a little (maybe alot by the size of my butt) passion for practice?
- I think so
Quote:
2. Quitting is an easy habit to form, but one hard to quit...
- true
Quote:
3. Isn't any training better than no training?
In my opinion, not much, but it depends on what you mean by 'any' I have known quite a few sporadic trainers and they always seem to forget to come in the end.
Quote:
4. I'm a guy don't use the commitment word you'll scare me... How much commitment is required?
to practice the only commitment is what you are prepared to give to yourself. To teach, a much greater level of commitment is required, as it is no longer about you but your students. You just do not have the option of not going if "I don't feel like it tonight"
Quote:
5. Is "mastery" the goal?
That's a really good question and some interesting answers have been given already. I guess each aikidoka has their own interpretation of the meaning of mastery, and one persons master may be another persons 'charlatan'. For me getting 'better' is just a side effect of the practice I love doing.

I am interested in what fellow aikidokas answers to these points are...

My guess is that you really are committed to your aikido and the questions are rhetorical and there to provoke discussion

When I first started practicing and was a gung-ho beginner. I took to boring anyone who would stand still long enough with endless details about my my new found passion. I wanted passionately to get into the Aiki-monk role that you mentioned above. I was on my first seminar with our main Sensei and almost the first thing he said was " Do not live to practice Aikido, practice Aikido to live!" I still remember the effect it had on me and still does.

Cheers,
Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.