View Single Post
Old 10-24-2004, 07:49 PM   #1
Niko Salgado
Dojo: Center for Mind-Body Oneness, St. Paul, MN
United_States
Sayu undo revised(Ki Society)

I was informed just today that the travelling sayu undo was a "step-together-step" instead of a "step-cross behind-step" like we're all used to. This change was made because the hips somehow were being caused to turn while crossing your legs.

I was curious, if anyone has figured out how to do the new way properly yet. It is very annoying to get used to after doing the old way for so long. After drilling the new way for about 10 minutes, I'm listing what I have noticed so far as what makes it difficult and a possible solution(s) to these particular problems in the following:

Problem #1. In most cases, the distance being created by the original way was done beginning with the cross-behind step(the 2nd step). The new way decreases that distance greatly since your 2nd step is limited to where your first step is.

Solution: Emphasize the distance on the first step. This will allow you to get remotely close to the dance you would be covering doing the first way.

Problem #2: The new way causes you to lose some balance while performing it.

Solution: It might be because the legs tend to straighten and lock up while "putting your feet together." Just like in the old way, keep the knees slightly bent. Also, it may also mean that you're focusing on how far a step you can take to cover as much ground as the former way. Be mindful of where your focus changes to while applying this change to the technique.

Problem #3: After doing one side, it's hard to start going the other direction with the same distance.

Solution: It means you have taken too large a 3rd step(the settling step) which makes it difficult to take a large first step going the other direction.

Add, revise or comment to this as you please, ask questions too, I hope someone can clarify the motion. It just feels really really weird right now.

Last edited by Niko Salgado : 10-24-2004 at 07:50 PM. Reason: grammar