View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 10:47 PM   #156
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States
Re: Religious Restrictions on Training

Is it just me or does anyone else get the sense that people's positions on this topic depend largely on whether they are sympathetic to the particular religions in question or even religious belief in general?

In most dojos above a certain size, it is very easy to accommodate a request from a man or a woman to train with partners of the same sex. It is much harder to accomodate someone in a wheelchair, for example, but I suspect fewer people would argue against that.

The issue boils down to this: what harm does it do to allow a woman to practice only with other women, provided there are enough female students in the dojo willing/able to accomodate?

That woman is asking for a little understanding, not much more. She is not seeking to impose her views on anyone else. She is not demanding that other students also abide by this restriction.

On the other hand, the owner/instructor of a dojo who says "my dojo, my rules" is imposing his/her standards and views on everyone else. That's their right. It's also their responsibility in many instances - I just don't think this is one of them.