View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #478
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Serbia
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Regarding the importance of "mucle memory", for instance, last friday I pulled this kneebar rolling with another blue belt (and Judo blackblelt), however, I've never been formally taugth it, never drilled it, I've seen it on video some time ago and it happened. I was simply going with the flow.
I did the same thing with the basic tripod sweep, saw it on youtube and did it in sparring. But the point is that my body was in that position a couple of times earlier and i just didn't know what to do. When i saw the video i thought to myself "I could try and do this.". The next time my body was again in the same position and this time i knew what to do and i did it. I had to at least see the video and be exposed to the technique like you in order for it to come to my mind.

Quote:
So I don't deny the value of drilling and repetition, but in my experience, that is not what JJ, or Aikido, is about. I agree more with what Mr. Hillson has wrote: relaxation as power, a handful of relationships, ying/yang exploration...
I also agree with what he wrote but the fact is, without the correct muscle memory and repetition you simply can't advance in certain areas of your art. Your moves have to become automatic because only then can you achieve the true flow and you body can get familiar with all the aspects. Then you can perceive the true meaning of relaxation.

It's not just grappling arts that are like that, many boxers and kick boxers had flow in their movement. Look at Muhammad Ali, Floyd Mayweather, Roy Jones Jr. etc. and they where all "labeled" gym rats. For Ali it was said that he knew all the tricks in boxing.

Off course i forgot to mention that it also depends on what you wan't from your training.

Last edited by MrIggy : 03-15-2016 at 07:05 PM.