View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #40
Carl Thompson

Japan
Re: Breaking the will of the ego.

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Ego. Please define your terms. Do you mean that inflated sense of self worth? Do you mean the more Eastern notion of illusory conception of self-existence? Do you mean one of the 3-part psychic structure as defined in Freudian Psychology (which is quite distinct from #1 above)? Do you mean the so-called "self-conscious mind" idea that is probably the most common "popular" conception of Ego in the west? Do you mean conscious "awareness" of personal identity (a rich area of discussion in philosophy)? And so on.

And of course there is the fact that most mix and match any number (or all?) of the above definitions.
Sorry but nope. He didn't so I won't either. I did point out the Freudian model of the psyche. You can take that as what I thought was the basic meaning but any of the others you mention are fine too. You have effectively said that with all these different possibilities there is no "common ground" to discuss and are thus not interested. Yet you do think it necessary to wield your academic authority to make fun of and quash the efforts of others. Isn't that just an ad hominem argument? I do not know the OP but from what I can gather, he is speaking from some measure of experience himself.

Carl