View Single Post
Old 07-28-2000, 06:26 AM   #11
chillzATL
United_States
Quote:
samurai_x wrote:
I think i agree on all of u guys have to say, but i still have this concern regarding kicks. Dont u think if it's not that regularly practised ,i mean the Defence Against Kicks. Dont u think
that when time comes when u encounter a kicker the Aikido student might have some difficulty dealing w/ it ? Coz the
student is not familiar w/ such form of attack. And is it ok to teach kicks to Aikido students so they will be more familiar to it ? But just below the belt kicks they could be very good atemi.
It's a matter of perspective. We've practiced them before, but it's not a regular thing. It's one of those things that, IMO, after you spend a little time on the mat, you start to envision your reactions to various attacks that aren't the normal attacks you get during your waza. Just take those things and test them out before and after class with someone. Go slowly, see what works for you. If none of it does, ask your sensei, get it clarified. But as many have said previously, kicks in a real fight, are very uncommon.