Old 02-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Aikido attacks.

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
I strongly disagree.
There is a reason that EVERY decent aikido instructor I've ever been on the mat with, from any style or lineage, in everything from beginners class to advanced seminar, explicitly talks about having BOTH arms/hands engaged and "live."
Part of it, yes, is martial and self-defense effectiveness.

But even if your avowed goal in learning and teaching aikido is spiritual rather than martial....
the integrity of the body/mind system, awareness of self/universe, connecting with one's partner ALL require the ability to be aware of one's entire body: front, back, up, down, left and right. Unless one lacks the limb or has had neurological damage to it (stroke, other disorder), a disengaged and limp extremity is a symptom of a disengaged, non-integrated system choosing to be self-impaired.

Easy to test. Try a simple irimi-tenkan kokyu-ho throw (forgetting the name of the exercise since it's not called that where I train now....) with the ungrabbed arm limply sitting versus engaged. It feels like working less than 1/2 a body.
Nothing to disagree with. Both arms would be 'live' , 3mph live or fast live. No undermining of integrity of of body/mind coordination. No undermining of awareness either.

That move you describe can be done one handed too, very difficult but nonetheless true.

So I'm not talking about 'nothing there' for I have said they are 'strikes'

I am also not talking about internal or mind/body coordination for if a person is advanced enough at that then a mere tap or prod would be enough to cause great effect. No, I am talking why? Why such attacks in Aikido? There are not many when you think about it. Plus, on their own as tsuki, shomen, yokomen, there is no emphsasis on 'meanwhile guard with your other hand' In fact I would get someone to keep their other hand or arm well out of the way even if 'live'.

Two hands 'live' is in fact more pertinent to uke than to nage in most respects.

I seek only to establish why? To know the why? of such attacks in Aikido. The real why?

This why? also gives a nice differentiation as to why it is martial and has nothing to do with competing or fighting. My view of it anyway.

I shall read the other responses and then explain my point of view.

Regards.G.