View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #143
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
It doesn't matter if you call it long muscle, ki waves or fascia unless it aids in understanding and transmission but it does help if it is also right (whatever that means).
In Aikido Shugyo, Gozo Shioda tends to talk about kokyu power, although I think that some ideas probably got a little frazzled by the compilers and translators of the book. Technically kokyu power is a physical manifestation of ki, so I would prefer 'kokyu power' to 'aiki' because 'aiki' is technically a usage of kokyu ('jin' in Chinese).

Regardless of the terminology, Shioda says at one point in his book that these types of trainings are an investment for old age. This saying about old age is a common saying in Asia and while it somewhat refers to the strength issues that stay with you into old age, the strength issues are really an adjunct of some of the training mechanisms which have a positive effect on your health well into old age. So there's a lot more to it than just the strength issues... yet a lot of these discussions focus on "aiki"/jin/kokyu/ki/fascia/etc like it is primarily a strength skill. Just thought I'd toss that in for the record.

FWIW

Mike Sigman