View Single Post
Old 06-03-2002, 12:59 PM   #21
Misogi-no-Gyo
Yes, and No

Quote:
I'm not sure that this is similar to what Shaun Ravens is describing, but how would I know, if we decide things are impossible because in our short time training we haven't seen them then we're closed already.
It is nice to read all of the replies. As far as what I believe Saotome Sensei showed you, I can only say that it sounds similar to, and about as far as I have been able to take this training. Meaning, that I am able to also take a full force punch, and with proper breathing, timing and distance, am able to repel it with what seems to the uke to be a great force. However let me say that I believe this is only the most basic form of the previously described technique - and only on a very limited, physical level.

I do believe that with the proper physical training, combined with specific meditative visualizations, that a much more advanced form of Kokyu is brought forth within the body. The idea of a "force field" using one's breath power, is very well known in the circles of Chinese martial arts. More importantly, in my discussions with Abe Sensei, he mentioned that O-Sensei told him that he discovered these concepts within Kojiki (Japanese record of Ancient Matters). He then refined his own way of fostering such potential through his daily regimen of Misogi.

I do believe that the typical aikidoka has a fairly deep misunderstanding between "KI" and Kokyu" talking about ki, but using examples of things actually done with Kokyu. For the record, after a Dozen years trying to decipher what Abe Sensei was talking about, I have good understanding, and a basic ability to use kokyu. However, when it comes to "Ki" I still am at the kindergarten level. I train, and continue to develop my own "working" definition of these two terms.

I think this is a good point for all aikidoka to study. However, each person comes into these things at different points in their training. I know of one of my senpai, one of the most talented aikidoka in terms of "technique," who just couldn't come to accept the terms "Ki" or "Kokyu." He ultimately left the dojo, realizing that without incorporating either of these things into his waza, he was probably practicing something other than Aikido. When I asked Abe Sensei about that, he agreed without hesitation.

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.